PEER SUPPORT WORKER WANTED:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: March 23, 2018
ONE Contract with the Deaf Well Being Program, Burnaby (Metrotown area)
~ 20 hours per month, 6 month contract (with possible extension)
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Team Director and staff, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with clients with mental illness with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; meeting and working in the community; travel (usually on transit); participation in client goals; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team or unit and centrally.
What is unique about this posting is that the successful candidate will be working with the Deaf and Hard of Hearing population. We are looking for someone who is empathetic, open minded and comfortable with learning about the specific needs of the population.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training Program
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner, and
- be empathetic, patient and supportive.
- must have taken Peer Support Training or worked as a Peer support Worker within the last 5 years.
Duration of these Placements: 6 Months, with potential to renew
You are not required to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, up to 20 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: As soon as position is filled
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter to:
Kristen Pranzl, Deaf Well Being Program, VCH
#300 4211 Kingsway, Burnaby BC V5H 1Z6
(Telephone 604 456 0900; Faxes accepted to 604-456-0904)
Please do not email your application.
No later than: March 23, 2018