Vancouver Coastal Health has a Family Support and Involvement Team. This team assists families with resources, education, information, and support, as well with facilitating the inclusion of family in the care of their loved ones. The team also works on including families in important decisions that are taken by Vancouver Coastal Health, for example the design and planning of the new mental health hospital, the Joseph and Rosalie Segal & Family Health Center. Team members are
- Jennifer Glasgow (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Manager
- Isabella Mori (email@example.com) – Isabella works in “Acute” – people with short term hospital stays
- Zachariah Finley (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Zach works in the “Tertiary” area, i.e. people who are in a long-term hospital or hospital like setting
- Until February 2018, for “Community” – people with mental health or substance use issues who live in the community (i.e. are not in Acute or Tertiary) – contact Isabella Mori or Jennifer Glasgow
Here is some information you might find useful.
- An introductory general article on Family Involvement.
- The Vancouver Coastal Health Family Involvement Policy, as well as questions pertaining to that policy
- Our Family Involvement Newsletter can be accessed here.
- The Family Connections Support group for families/supporters of people with mental health/substance use difficulties is facilitated by Zach and Isabella
- Meets every 1st Thursday and 3rd Monday of the month from 6-8pm.
- Location: Joseph & Rosalie Segal & Family Health Center, 803 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver. 803 West 12th is in the center of the VGH campus and can be accessed from Willow & West 10th. It is right behind the Blusson Spinal Center. A map can be found here.
- For more information, contact Isabella (email@example.com) or Zach (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- More support groups, not facilitated by VCH staff, can be found in the latest newsletter.
- Communication Protocol for Individuals Receiving Services at VCH, an article about the details of VCH mental health professionals communicating among themselves, and with patients, families and family physicians
- A Journey Through the Vancouver Coastal Health Mental Health “System”
- Find the latest articles related to Family Involvement HERE.
- A PDF of the most up-to-date Resource List – Community Support for Families. This includes support and educational groups, web sites, and places where you can receive one-on-one counselling, often at a reduced rate.
- Families often hear us talk about a Xavier Amador’s book “I Am Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help”. Here is a link to it, as well as a short version of it.
- Family conferences: Our last mini conference was on housing on May 13 – click for more info. Videos should be out shortly. Videos from the 2016 conference can be found here.