NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: January 28, 2019
GASTOWN VOCATIONAL SERVICES
One Contract to a maximum of 40 hours per month, to start immediately
Job Description: Under the supervision of the GVS occupational therapist, and working closely with the OT’s and job developers, you will assist individuals living with mental illness to achieve their vocational/employment/educational goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgment and good interpersonal skills. Duties include: assisting clients in achieving vocational/employment/educational goal(s) (e.g. bus training, support client on volunteer/work placement, meeting clients at skytrain station to accompany to apt in community/ office, helping clients with research, occasionally supporting our work readiness group, communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly GVS meetings.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training Program
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner, and
- be empathetic, patient and supportive.
- must have taken Peer Support Training or worked as a Peer support Worker within the last 5 years.
Duration of these Placements: 12 Month Contract with potential to renew.
You are not required to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter to: Renea Mohammed, Peer Support Program, Vancouver Mental Health and Substance Use Services, #200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
(Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to 604-874-7661)
No later than: Jan. 28th, 2019
Please do not email your application.
Pay and Hours: $14.00 an hour, 40 hours per month maximum (including meetings). Hours of work each month will vary depending on client needs of team.