Wanted: Hearing Voices Network Support Group Peer Facilitator
Closing: Friday, March 23, 2018
ONE or TWO contracts with The CI&I Peer Support Program (Voices and Visions)
Location of work: Grandview Woodlands Mental Health Team, 310-1669 East Broadway
Duration of placement: 1 year with potential to renew
Rate of Pay: $15 per hour
The Vancouver Visions and Voices Group is a peer-led support group based on the International Hearing Voices Network. Its aim is to be a place where people who hear voices or have other unusual sensory experiences can give and receive support, share techniques for living well with their experiences and/or explore the meaning those experiences have for them. This group is facilitated by peers who support the smooth functioning of the group and make Hearing Voices Network resources available to participants.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Set-up of room
- Facilitate support group meetings – ensuring meetings run smoothly
- Be open to a range of ways of understanding experiences
- Ensure everyone has a chance to speak
- Draw on Hearing Voices Network resource materials in discussions and make these resources available to participants
- Share personal experience for the benefit of the group or individuals
Skills and Abilities Required
- Lived experience of hearing voices, seeing visions or having other unusual sensory experiences
- Willingness to take a facilitator training workshop (probably on April 7) and also attend an orientation to the International Hearing Voices Network.
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Ability to attend sessions consistently
- Successful completion of a criminal record check (organized by us)
The community support groups runs on the first and third Fridays for the month. Shift would be from 2-4 pm. You would be part of a rotating team of facilitators which means you would generally be doing one meeting per month, with a Peer, but there is potential for you to be asked to do more. There is also potential for you to be asked to assist with our other hearing voices groups which would increase your number of shifts.
Start Date: ASAP
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Renea Mohammed, Peer Support Program, Vancouver Community Mental Health Services, VCH,
#200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
(Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to 604-874-7661)
Please do not email your application.
No later than : March 23, 2018