PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: July 31, 2019
Six Month Contract with ACT 865 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver
ACT 4 and 5 teams – Two peer support worker positions available
Up to 20 hours per month, 6 MONTH CONTRACT, with potential to renew.
Job Description: Under the supervision of designated staff and respective team leads, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with clients with severe mental illness and co-occurring addiction with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement, and good interpersonal skills.
- One-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goals, acquiring new skills, and linking with community resources;
- Meeting and working in the community; Travel (usually on transit);
- Communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff;
- Participating in team meetings and collaborating with a team using a trans-disciplinary model of care; and
- Attending monthly peer support worker meetings and participating regular supervision.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- Have taken Peer Support Training or worked as a Peer Support Worker within the last 5 years.
- Have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system and/or addiction services.
- Be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information.
- Have effective strategies for dealing with stress.
- Be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members.
- Be able to work with culturally diverse populations.
- Be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance.
- Be able to adequately access public transportation.
- Be able to present in a professional manner.
- Be empathetic, patient and supportive.
Duration of these
Placements: 6 Months, with potential to renew.
You are not able to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $14.50 an hour, up to 20 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: As soon as possible based on availability.
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter via fax or email to:
Renea Mohammed, Peer Support Program, Vancouver Community Mental Health Services, VCH,
#200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
Telephone: 604-708-5276 Faxes: 604-874-7661 Email: email@example.com WITH subject heading: “ACT Team PSW Application”. This subject heading must be included exactly as shown if you email your application.