PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: ___July 31, 2022_______
20 HOURS/MONTH AVAILABLE AT KITSILANO MENTAL HEALTH & SUBSTANCE USE TEAM
2110 W 43rd AVE VANCOUVER BC
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Team Director and rehab staff, you will work with clients with mental illness & substance use challenges with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who demonstrates initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills.
Duties include: Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team or unit and centrally or over zoom. **If interested, there are also opportunities to co-facilitate a group with Rehab staff; group experience an asset.
*Due to pandemic restrictions, some work may be done virtually. Access/competence using a computer and access to a phone is required.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program or have equivalent training and/or experience
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system
- be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation, able to use a computer and phone and communicate in a timely manner with staff
- be able to be present in a professional manner, and
- be empathetic, patient and supportive.
Duration of this Placement: 6 Months, with potential to renew. You CANNOT work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $17.00 an hour, up to 20 hours maximum a month (including meetings)
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Ela Rutkowski (Occupational Therapist) by
No later than: Jul 31, 2022