|Job Title:||Peer Support Worker|
|Work Site:Additional Sites:||Mental Health Act Compliance, Vancouver General HospitalUBC Hospital – Vancouver, BCRoyal Columbian Hospital – New Westminster, BCLions Gate Hospital – North Vancouver, BC|
|Status:||Temporary Full Time|
|Start Date:||As soon as possible until approximately April 2023|
|Salary:||$25.83 per hour|
|Hours:||0800-1600Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays|
Come work as a Peer Support Worker with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Peer Support Worker to join the Mental Health team supporting several hospitals in and around Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Peer Support Worker, you will:
- Work as a member of an interdisciplinary adult tertiary mental health care site to provide a range of non-clinical, peer-based services including individual peer support, facilitating peer-based recovery groups and conducting peer information sessions.
- Support service users’ recovery through the use of motivational and supportive self-disclosure including the sharing of personal recovery experiences and strategies for attaining and maintaining wellness.
- Promote empowerment, self-determination and independence through peer mentorship, emotional support and relationship/rapport building using recovery-oriented approaches.
- Support and assist service users in exploration of skill building, community integration and the development of natural supports in their community utilizing non-judgmental, strength-based conversations and person-centered goal setting.
Education & Experience
- Certificate in a Social Services program and successful completion of a recognized Peer Support Training program and two (2) years recent related experience in a peer support role or an equivalent combination of education, training, peer support and employment experience.
- Lived experience with recovery from a mental illness and as a recipient of mental health and addiction services including peer knowledge of the designated service user population in the applicable program area or department.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Develops and maintains positive and respectful relationships with co-workers and the multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and “going first” when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Email this job to a friend
Share on your newsfeed
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.