|PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: March 2, 2016
ONE Contract with KITSILANO-FAIRVIEW MENTAL HEALTH TEAM
~ 20 hours per month, 12 MONTH CONTRACT
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Occupational Therapist and staff, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with clients with mental illness with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team or unit and centrally.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program or have equivalent training or experience
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner, and
- be empathetic, patient and supportive.
Duration of these Placements: 12 Months, with potential to renew.
You are not allowed to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, up to 20 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: April 1, 2016
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter to:
Peer Support Program, Vancouver Community Mental Health Services, VCH,
#200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
(Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to 604-874-7661)
Please do not email your application.
No later than : March 1, 2016
Renea Mohammed, BA, MLIS, Coordinator
Peer Support Program, Vancouver Mental Health & Addiction Services
Please Note: I work 3 days/week (usually Wed, Thurs, and Fri).
Three sites to check out:
“If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room.” – old saying passed on by a peer support student