Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for 12 Peer Advisors to support our DTES Second Generation Work.
Please have a look at the information below and pass it along to anyone you think might be available, interested and a good fit. We have also attached a poster to display at your organization. Feel free to spread widely!! Thank you!
What is the goal?
The goal is well-informed decision making and health services that work for our DTES client population. As the 2nd Generation moves forward with more detailed planning and actually doing the changes we have been talking about, we need a way to quickly connect with folks who access our health care services and/or have lived experience similar to our client population.
What is involved?
- one or two sessions of initial training in late April
- monthly DTES Peer Reference Group meetings from May – December 2016.
- opportunities to sit on various 2nd Gen working groups and steering committees, based on peer interest and expertise as well as the needs of those groups
- potential for other work around designing and supporting evaluation and/or community engagement activities.
As much as possible, we want to work with the group to make collaborative decisions about the role they want to play both as individuals and as a collective, as well as whatever we need to put in place to make this meaningful and successful for everyone involved. Peer advisors will be compensated at a rate of $20/hour.
Who should apply?
You are eligible for these positions if you have:
- Experience living and/or accessing services in the Downtown Eastside.
- Experience working on teams, committees or working groups who deal with complicated issues where consensus may be difficult.
- Availability for 4-12 hours a month, with some flexibility, during regular working hours between May and Dec 2016.
We strongly encourage both women and Aboriginal people to apply.
I’m that person! How do I apply?
To apply please email email@example.com or call Breann Specht at 604-714-3770 by April 20th with responses to the following questions:
- What previous experience do you have working on teams, committees or working groups?
- What lived experience do you have that you think is relevant?
- Why do you want to do this?
- What is the best way to contact you?
We will review all the applications and then do some friendly interviews. We are really excited about this and hope to build a diverse team of people who will complement one another and truly strengthen our work. Please contact the number above with any questions you have at any time.
THANK YOU for your interest!