|PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: September 8, 2017
ONE Contract with South Mental Health & Substance Use Services, #220 (West Wing) – 1200 W. 73rd Avenue
~ 30 hours per month, 1 year contract
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Senior Occupational Therapist or delegate, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with clients with mental illness and/or substance use issues with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgment and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team and centrally.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program or have equivalent training or experience
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from serious mental illness/substance use issues by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be able to adequately access public transportation and support others with taking transit
- be comfortable assisting with goals related to physical activity, such a going to the gym
- be able to present in a professional manner,
- be empathetic, patient and supportive, and
- have knowledge of community resources and be comfortable searching for information regarding resources online and over the phone
Duration of this Placement: 1 year with possibility of renewal
You are not required to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, up to 30 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: September 2017
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter via fax or mail to:
Renea Mohammed, Coordinator
Peer Support Program, Vancouver Community Mental Health Services
#200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
No later than : September 8, 2017
Only those short listed will be contacted.