We are looking to hire on contract, a Peer Support Worker, who will be based out of Central Office (520 West 6th Ave) but who will provide services to a variety of sites and locations.
Please find more details in the posting attached and below.
Questions can be directed to Renea, 604-708-5276.
PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: August 24, 2016
ONE Contract with The CI&I Peer Support Program, Central Office, 520 West 6th Ave, Vancouver
~ 10 hours per month, 6 month contract
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Peer Support Program Coordinator, and in conjunction with Consumer Involvement & Initiatives team members and team members at other Vancouver Coastal Health sites, you will work with clients with mental illness and/or addiction issues with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, and other meetings as directed.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:have completed a Peer Support Training program (required)
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, clients and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be confident in using public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner,
- be empathetic, patient and supportive, and
- be willing to provide services at a variety of locations
Duration of this Placement: 6 Months, with potential to renew.
You are not required to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, up to 10 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: September
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter to:
Renea Mohammed, Peer Support Program, Vancouver Community Mental Health Services, VCH,
#200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
(Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to 604-874-7661)
Please do not email your application.
No later than : August 24, 2016
Renea Mohammed, BA, MLIS, Coordinator
Peer Support Program, Consumer Involvement & Initiatives
Vancouver Mental Health & Substance Use Services
Please Note: I work 3 days/week (usually Wed, Thurs, and Fri).
Three sites to check out:
“If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room.” – old saying passed on by a peer support student