GASTOWN VOCATIONAL SERVICES
NOTICE: PEER SUPPORT CONTRACT
CLOSING: September 18, 2015
Two contracts with the YOUTH & YOUNG ADULT PROGRAM (YYAP)
at 30 hours per month, One contract is a one-year contract and the other contract is a temporary contract with end date.
Contract Description: Under the supervision of the Co-coordinator, the PSW will work very closely with YYAP Occupational Therapist, (and the YYAP staff team members) to assist youth/young adult clients (ages 16- 30 years) with mental health disabilities to achieve their stated employment/ educational and/ or volunteer goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgment, and good interpersonal skills.
Duties include: assisting clients in achieving employment/educational goal(s) (e.g. bus training, support clients on volunteer/work placement, wellness activities, and/or connecting to resources etc.); communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly youth team meetings (as needed).
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program or have equivalent training or experience;
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required);
- have previous experience working with youth/young adults (16-30 years of age);
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a mental illness by sharing life and recovery experience;
- have effective strategies for communicating and for dealing with stress;
- be able to work cooperatively with other mental health staff;
- be willing to work with a culturally diverse population;
- respect other people’s right to choose vocational/educational options and their right to refuse help/ support;
- be able to adequately access public transportation, and to be comfortable assisting other youth clients with public transit;
- be able to present in a professional manner, be empathetic, patient and supportive.
Duration of placement: One contract term will be until August 31 , 2016. The other contract will be temporary (based on return of PSW).
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, 30 – 40 hours per month maximum a month (incl. meetings. Please submit a resume and a cover letter to:
Mariella Bozzer GVS Co-ordinator By fax at 604-683-5099 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org