PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: Sept 28, 2017
Fifteen Contracts with HOPE Program (Health Outreach and Peer Empowerment)
~ 4-8 hours per week, 6 month contract with option to renew
Job Description: Under the supervision of the multidisciplinary team, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with clients with mental illness with the objective of mentoring and coaching them to develop independent living skills. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team or unit and centrally.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program or have equivalent training or experience
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner, and
- be empathetic, patient and supportive.
- ability to speak a second language is an asset
The successful candidate will be required to complete the Peer Leadership Training through the Open Door Group.
Duration of these Placements: 6 Months, with potential to renew.
You are not required to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $14.00 an hour, up to 32 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: October 10, 2017
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter to:
Peer Support Program, Vancouver Community Mental Health Services, VCH, #200-520 West 6thAvenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
(Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to 604-874-7661)
Or email your application to email@example.com
No later than : 4:00pm on Sept 28, 2017 (you will only be called if you are to receive an interview)