PEER SUPPORT WORKER
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: May 11, 2018
ONE Contract with Residential Facility Services (1337 St. Andrew’s Ave., North Vancouver)
~ 20 hours per month, 6 month contract
Contract Description: Under the supervision of the contract supervisor you will work with adults with a mental illness with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly meetings as required.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
1. Have completed a Peer Support Training program or have equivalent training or experience
2. Have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
3. Be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
4. Be empathic, patient and supportive
5. Have effective strategies for dealing with stress
6. Be able to work cooperatively with other mental health staff, peers and family members
7. Be able to work with a culturally diverse population
8. Be comfortable assisting with goals related to physical activity, such as going to the gym
9. Be able to adequately access public transportation and support others with taking transit
10. Have knowledge of community resources and be comfortable searching for information regarding resources online and over the phone
11. Be able to present in a professional manner
12. Vehicle required
Duration of these placements: 6 Months, renewable
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, up to 20 hours a month (including meetings).
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a cover letter and a resume to:
Debbie Sesula, Peer Support Program Coordinator
1337 St. Andrew’s Avenue, North Vancouver, BC, V7L 3L4
Fax: 604-983-6022 Email: email@example.com
No later than: May 11, 2018
Only those short-listed will be contacted.
The views expressed in this email do not necessarily reflect those of Vancouver Coastal Health.