PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: Tuesday Sept. 19, 2017
Two Contracts with STEPS Mental Health Rehab Program (formerly known as Strathcona Mental Health Team Rehab Program)
~ 33 hours per month, per contract
Job Description: Under the supervision of the rehab staff, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with clients with mental illness with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team or unit and centrally.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program (required)
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner
- be empathetic, patient and supportive.
- ability to speak a second language (Cantonese and/or Mandarin) is an asset
** The policy prevents applicants from working at the team or unit where they receive service.
Duration of contracts: 6 Months, with potential to renew.
Pay and Hours: $12.00 an hour, up to 33 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Closing Date: 4:00pm on Tuesday Sept. 19, 2017
Start Date: Late September, 2017
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to:
Renea Mohammed, Peer Support Program,
Vancouver Community Mental Health Services, VCH,
#200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
(Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to 604-874-7661)
Please do not email your application.