PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: September 3rd 2019
ONE Contract with Mental Health Supported Housing
~ 20 hours per month, for a 1 year contract
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Team Manager and staff, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with clients with mental illness with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; meeting and working in the community; travel (usually on transit); participation in client goals; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team or unit and centrally.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training Program
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner, and
- Be empathetic, patient and supportive.
- Worked as a Peer support Worker within the last 5 years.
Duration of these Placements: 1 year with potential to renew.
You are not required to work at the team or unit where you receive service.
Pay and Hours: $14.50 an hour, up to 20 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter no later than Sept 3, 2019 to:
Renea Mohammed, Peer Support Program, Vancouver Community Mental Health Services, VCH,
#200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
(Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to 604-874-7661)
If you wish to submit by email, send to: Renea.email@example.com WITH subject heading “MHHS Team PSW Application”. This subject heading must be included exactly as shown if you email your application.