Sea to Sky Peer Support Program
Notice of Contract
Closing: September 8, 2017
One Contract Position with Squamish Mental Health Team:
6 month contract – 16 hours per month
Contract Description: Under the supervision of the Consumer Initiatives Support Worker, Lead Clinician and in conjunction with the Mental Health & Substance Use Services staff, you will work with clients with mental health and/or substance use issues with the objective of assisting them to obtain their goals. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a well-organized lifestyle which includes: taking initiative, being flexible, having sound judgment and having good interpersonal skills.
Responsibilities include: Co-facilitating Wellness Group Drop-In sessions with Lead Clinician, assisting clients to achieve goal(s), assisting with recreational groups as required, being familiar with Sea to Sky Peer Support Policy and Procedure Manual, ongoing communication with staff in regards to Peer Support Work, attending monthly Peer Support Worker meetings, and filling monthly hours, expenses, mileage and Activity Log Sheets.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- Have completed a Peer Support Worker training program or have equivalent training or experience
- Have personal experience receiving services within the mental health and social service systems (required)
- Be a role model to people recovering from mental illness and/or substance use by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- Have effectively worked with strategies for dealing with stress
- Be able to work cooperatively with Mental Health Staff
- Be willing to work with a culturally diverse population
- Respect other people’s right to refuse help or resist change
- Be able to adequately access public transportation
- Be familiar with community resources in Squamish
- Be able to present in a professional manner
- Be empathetic, patient and supportive
- Attended the Wellness Drop-In group with present facilitator and been observed to be a productive group member (required)
- Courses in psychology, group dynamics and abnormal psychology would be an asset.
Duration of each placement: 6 months, temporary with possibility of renewal of contract.
Pay and Hours: $17.50 an hour, up to 16 hours maximum a month (including meetings)
Closing Date: Friday, September 8, 2017
Please email, fax, or mail cover letter and resume to:
Consumer Initiatives Support Worker
Sea to Sky Mental Health and Substance Use Services
38075 Second Ave, PO BOX 220 Squamish, BC V8B 0A2
Tel: 604.892.6400 Fax: 604.815.419