PEER SUPPORT WORKER:
NOTICE OF CONTRACT
CLOSING: October 29, 2021
Contract with Vancouver General Hospital, Segal Inpatient Units.
Either 50 hours a month, OR two 25 hours a month, OR MODIFIABLE AS NEEDED. All contracts are 6 months.
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Manager and Head Nurses, and in conjunction with treatment personnel, you will work with clients with mental illness with the objective of assisting them to achieve their stated goals. The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual who exhibits initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and good interpersonal skills. Duties include one-to-one work assisting clients in achieving goal(s), acquiring new skills or linking with community resources; communicating all relevant information verbally and in writing to pertinent staff; and attending monthly peer support worker meetings, at the team or unit and centrally.
Qualifications: The successful individual will:
- have completed a Peer Support Training program or have equivalent training or experience
- have personal experience receiving services within the mental health system (required)
- be able to be a role model to people recovering from a serious mental illness by sharing common life experiences and practical information
- have effective strategies for dealing with stress
- be able to work cooperatively with mental health staff, consumers and family members
- be able to work with a culturally diverse population
- be willing to respect other people’s right to decline assistance
- be able to adequately access public transportation,
- be able to present in a professional manner, and
- be empathetic, patient and supportive.
Duration of these Placements: 6 Months, with potential to renew.
Pay and Hours: $15.50 an hour, up to 50 hours maximum a month (including meetings).
Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date and Location: Please submit a resume and a cover letter to:
Heidi Schmidt either by:
Email: Heidi.email@example.com or by Fax: 604-675-3725
No later than: October 29, 2021