Wanted: Hearing Voices Network Support Group Peer Facilitator
Closing: Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019
Contract with: The CI&I Peer Support Program (Voices and Visions). Vancouver Coastal Health.
Location of work: Various sites in Vancouver.
Duration of placement: 1 year with potential to renew
Rate of Pay: $15 per hour (you are paid $30 per session).
The Vancouver Visions and Voices Groups are a peer-led support groups based on the International Hearing Voices Network. Their aim is to be a place where people who hear voices or see visions can give and receive support, share techniques for living well with their experiences and/or explore the meaning those experiences have for them. The groups are facilitated by peers who support the smooth functioning of the group and make Hearing Voices Network resources available to participants.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Set-up of room and facilitate support group meetings – ensuring meetings run smoothly
- Be open to a range of ways of understanding experiences
- Ensure everyone has a chance to speak
- Draw on Hearing Voices Network resource materials in discussions and make these resources available to participants
- Share personal experience for the benefit of the group or individuals
Skills and Abilities Required
- Lived experience of hearing voices, visions or having other unusual sensory experiences
- Willingness to take group facilitator training & also attend an orientation to the Hearing Voices Network
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Ability to attend sessions consistently and be highly reliable in attending sessions you’ve signed up for
- Successful completion of a criminal record check (organized by us)
Community groups run twice a month during the day. Our hospital group runs weekly Tuesday evenings. You would be part of a rotating team of facilitators which means you would not be attending every session for each group and so have some flexibility with your schedule. You can also choose which groups you are available for. Our groups are facilitated by teams of two Peers.
Start Date: ASAP
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Renea Mohammed, Peer Support Program, Consumer Initiative Fund, Vancouver Coastal Health, #200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5, (Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to: Attention: Renea Mohammed, 604-874-7661)
If you wish to email your application send to: email@example.com with the following subject line: “HVN Group Application 2019”
No later than : Nov. 26, 2019