Vancouver Voices and Visions is a Vancouver Coastal Health peer-led support group based on the international Hearing Voices Network. Its aim is to be a safe place where people who hear voices or see visions can give and receive support, share techniques for living well with their experiences and/or explore the meaning those experiences have for them..
We are currently looking to expand our pool of Peer Facilitators.
Interested candidates will be interviewed and if selected will be provided with a free support group facilitator training and also an orientation to the Hearing Voices Network.
Complete volunteer job posting is below:
Volunteer Position Description
Vancouver Voices & Visions Support Group Peer Facilitator
Reports to VCH Mental Health and Addictions Team & Volunteer Resources
Hours/week 2.5 hours twice/month
Volunteer Position Background
The Vancouver Visions and Voices Group is a peer-led support group based on the methods of the International Hearing Voices Network. Its aim is to be a safe place where people who hear voices or see visions can give and receive support, share techniques for living well with their experiences and/or explore the meaning those experiences have for them. This group is facilitated by peers who support the smooth functioning of the group and make Hearing Voices Network resources available to participants. This group is supported in partnership by VCH Mental Health and Addictions Services, Consumer Involvement and Initiatives and Community Volunteer Resources.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Be scheduled for a regular role as facilitator or co-facilitator. The co-facilitator position may be rotating.
- Facilitate support group meetings – ensuring meetings run smoothly
- Support the group in developing guidelines members are comfortable with and adjusting guidelines as needed
- Be open to a range of ways of understanding experiences
- Ensure everyone has a chance to speak and support discussions
- Draw on Hearing Voices Network resource materials in discussions and make these resources available to participants
- Set-up of chairs and tables and make tea
Skills and Abilities Required
- Lived experience of hearing voices or seeing visions
- Ability to work well in groups and take a leadership role
- Willingness to complete a facilitator training and also an orientation to the Hearing Voices Network
- Ability to attend sessions consistently
- Ability to work with others as well as independently
- Patient, understanding and respectful
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Competency in English (second language an asset)
- Adherence to VCH Volunteer Guidelines
- Volunteers must be available on the 1st and 3rd Friday of the month from 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm
- Minimum commitment of 6 months
- Screening Interview
- Attend required Hearing Voices Network orientation
- Must have completed a facilitator training
- Must successfully complete a Criminal Record Check (to be processed after interview)
- Must provide two references
- Must be minimum 19 years of age or older
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Renea Mohammed, Peer Support
200-520 West 6th Ave
Fax: 604-874-7661 (send ATTENTION: Renea Mohammed)
Please do not email your application.
For questions or information please contact:
Renea Mohammed, email@example.com 604-708-5276
Renea Mohammed, BA, MLIS, Coordinator
Peer Support Program, Vancouver Mental Health & Addiction Services
Please Note: I work 3 days/week (usually Wed, Thurs, and Fri).
Three sites to check out:
“If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room.” – old saying passed on by a peer support student