Come to our newest Family Conference on April 27th at VGH! Details here.
Vancouver Coastal Health has a Family Support and Involvement Team. This team assists families with resources, education, information, and support, as well with facilitating the inclusion of family in the care of their loved ones. The team also works on including families in important decisions that are taken by Vancouver Coastal Health, for example the design and planning of the new mental health hospital, the Joseph and Rosalie Segal & Family Health Center. Team members are:
- Otto Lim
Otto works in “Acute” – people with short term hospital stays.
604-875-4111 extension 23502
- Isabella Mori
Isabella supports “Community” – families of people with mental health or substance use issues who live in the community (i.e. are not in Acute or Tertiary).
- Becky Hynes
Becky works in the “Tertiary” area, i.e. people who are in a long-term hospital or hospital like setting.
- Jennifer Glasgow (email@example.com) – Manager
If your loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis, please contact the Access and Assessment Centre at 604-675-3700 or go to their web site.
Here is some information you might find useful.
- An introductory general article on Family Involvement.
- The Vancouver Coastal Health Family Involvement Policy, as well as a shorter version of it used in staff education
- Our Family Involvement Newsletter can be accessed here.
- The Family Connections Support group for families/supporters of people with mental health/substance use difficulties is facilitated by Becky and Otto.
- Meets every 1st Thursday and 3rd Monday of the month from 6-8pm. The dates for the remainder of 2019 are April 4 & 15, May 2 (no group May 20 – Victoria Day), June 6 & 17, July 4 & 15, Aug 1 & 19, Sept 5 & 16, Oct 3 & 21, Nov 7 & 18, Dec 5 & 16
- Location: Joseph & Rosalie Segal & Family Health Center, 803 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver. 803 West 12th is in the center of the VGH campus. You can access it from Willow & West 10th, or from Willow & West 12th. It is right behind the Blusson Spinal Center. A map is here.
- For more information, contact Otto (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Becky (email@example.com).
- More support groups, not facilitated by VCH staff, can be found in the latest newsletter.
- Communication Protocol for Individuals Receiving Services at VCH, an article about the details of VCH mental health professionals communicating among themselves, and with patients, families and family physicians
- A Journey Through the Vancouver Coastal Health Mental Health “System”
- A brochure for families of VCH’s emergency, urgent and inpatient mental health and addiction services
- Find the latest articles related to Family Involvement HERE.
- A PDF of the most up-to-date Resource List . This includes support and educational groups, web sites, and places where you can receive one-on-one counselling, often at a reduced rate.
- Families often hear us talk about a Xavier Amador’s book “I Am Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help”. Here is a link to it, as well as a short version of it.
- Families often ask about the difference between supporting and enabling. Here’s an article.